Edible Peace Patch Blogs

Check out our other blogs here: http://peacepatch.org/blogs.htm

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"A day in the life of Harold"- a yams life in the eyes of my creative group of six eager fifth graders. My student explained to me his yam that he planted in my garden was a male, and his name was Harold. Harold gets visited daily by Buzz the Bumble Bee to have his pollen collected and brought to a female plant. He gets his drinks from the sky and the hose, he gets his food from the soil and all the nutrients, and he grows with sunlight. When he dies Benjamin the Beatle will come and help decompose him.  

This story that was told to me by my students and helps demonstrate all that goes into the plant life cycle. The students understand the key elements and can conceptualize this very well. How will they surprise me next time!

-Brad Samuels

No comments:

Post a Comment